Underwater Impulse Generation
- Underwater impulse generation or sparking technology has been successfully used to displace zebra mussels and to clean industrial components. The possibility that underwater impulse technology would be useful in other applications is an interesting prospect.
- Pulse power is used in a number of applications. One aspect of pulse power is underwater impulse generation. Energy is drawn from a voltage source and stored as DC voltage in a capacitor. This energy is then delivered to an underwater electrode system which provides an under water impulse when the stored energy in the capacitor is released.
Underwater electrical impulse generation provides a method of treating waterborne materials. Common effects are believed to be:
- Introduction of the OH radical
- Reduction of pathogens
- Reduction of crustacea
- Deposition of suspended material
- Stratification of suspended material
- Agglomeration of suspended material
- Dispersion of suspended material
- Reduction of particle size of suspended material
- Reduction in the use of polymer
- Increased efficiency of waste separation for belt press operation
- Cleaning of pipe-work
- Loosening of petroleum products
- Treating algae
- Cleaning of industrial product
- RGLSolutions has under development an equipment that uses digitally controlled power electronics to convert and apply energy to a patented underwater electrode system. This device is compact enough to be portable and is straightforward enough to be powered from a wall socket. It produces and maintains a regular pulse magnitude of 250 joules with a repetition range from two to thirty seconds into a conductive aqueous solution at a distance of up to 200 feet. It operates at medium power and low frequency under microprocessor, closed loop control and features a fail safe, no impulse shutdown mechanism for operator safety. It has self adjusting, easy, digital control. It is low maintenance, has low power use and operates at high power factor. It is optimized for installation for specific applications in industrial, municipal, commercial, and agricultural market segments.
- This apparatus is available both for existing commercial applications and for site trials in new application areas. Confidential trial methodology and an evaluation roadmap can be developed for individual clients. The availability of a proven, robust, reliable, and fail safe sub aqueous impulse generator for the market will enable new applications to be developed.
- Roger G. Lawrence Selected Publication:
A Portable Sub Aqueous, Pulsed Power Device for Industrial Applications
IEE Pulsed Power Symposium, London September 2005